MainStreetMadison.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Street Madison > All Things Madison > Township History
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Primitive Baptist Churches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Primitive Baptist Churches

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
LHelton View Drop Down
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Location: Madison Twp.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2200
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primitive Baptist Churches
    Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 4:23pm

MT. PLEASANT PRIMITIVE BAPTIST (MADISON TWP.)

     The Baptist Church on Brown's Run, Madison township, Butler Co., Ohio, known as the Mt. Pleasant Church, was organized by Elder Wilson Thompson, on the second day of September, 1819. The presbytery was composed of Elders and brethren from Elk Creek, Bethlehem, and Tapscott's Churches. There were sixty charter members, viz., Samuel Lucas, Elizabeth Banker, Hannah Lucas, Mary McGlaughlin, Ralph Voris, Jane Voris, Rachel Silbey, Lydia Barlow, Daniel Barklow, Thomas Mikesell, Thomas Royal, Catherine Royal, Elizabeth Banker, Elizabeth Lucas, Caroline Hinkle, Martha Lucas, Nancy Gouger, Matilda Kountze, James Baird, Mary Baird, Jane Williamson, Silas Payne, Rebecca Sellbe, Mary Ann Hinkle, Squire Hinkle, Tabitha Greggs, Levina Banker, Martha A. Craig, Anna Shankle, Joseph Hinkle, John L. Graves, Matilda Zimmerman, Ann Maria Stewart, John Voris, John Snyder, James Snyder, Sally Hinkle, Jane Voris, Elizabeth Gapheart, and Hannah Voris.  Surnames of members: Adams, Baird, Banker, Barklow, Bowlus, Bush, Compton, Craig, Finkbone, Gapheart, Gouger, Graves, Greggs, Haug, Hinkle, Huchison, Kountze, Lucas, McGlaughlin, Miksell, Payner, Reece, Royal, Selby, Sellbe, Shankle, Silbey, Simms, Smith, Snyder, Stewart, Voris, Williamson, Wilson, Witters (very incomplete list due to lack of records).

 ELK CREEK PRIMITIVE BAPTIST (TRENTON)

     The Elk Creek Church was organized in 1800, and was the first church in Trenton. Michael Pearce, Trenton's founder, made land available for the church and cemetery. The first building was made of logs. By 1820 the log structure was replaced by a brick building. The bricks were fired on site. It was a rectangular building, 40' x 60', with a gabled roof, two stoves, and a seating capacity of about 250 people. There were two doors in front, and one on the side, and four windows on each of the two longer sides. Elder James Lee was probably the first pastor. He was followed by Elder Stephen Gard, who served for over 35 years. Elder Joseph Flint also served this church as pastor before moving to Iowa. Other pastors included Elders Samuel Potter (who served for 28 years), Moses Morehouse, and Samuel Williams. Elk Creek Church prospered greatly, and lettered out members to organize ten or twelve churches in Indiana, and some in Ohio, in the early days of pioneer settlement. The church still had about 120 members in 1835. It was listed as a member of the Miami Association as late as 1908. The cemetery at the site is now called the Baptist/Pioneer cemetery.  Surnames of members: Ashley, Case, Chambers, Dine, Hale, Hartley, Hole, Little, Long, Lucas, Morningstar, Padox, Potter, Vansickle (very incomplete list due to not having the actual church records).

 

Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
Back to Top
LHelton View Drop Down
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Location: Madison Twp.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2200
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:42pm
From Firmly Founded, Proudly Growing, Monroe, Ohio 1817-2017:

     In 1801, the Prairie Baptist Church along Dick's Creek, probably at the old cemetery at Amanda, was admitted to the Miami Valley Baptist Association.  Daniel Doty was one of its founders, escorting the first Baptist minister to this area.  In 1802, the same denomination set up a church at Trenton, and then organized the Browns Run Congregation, now known as the Primitive Baptist Church at Mount Pleasant, above Poasttown.  Their ancient cemetery is a landmark.  
Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.64
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz