MainStreetMadison.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Street Madison > All Things Madison > Township History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Indian Sites

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indian Sites
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:46pm
Interesting, turned tramatic. I had received the following message from Debbie Montville Rogers. I responded, but didn't understand why I never heard back from her.....

I responded to this message on Nov. 19, 2016: "My name is Debbie Rogers Montville. I have been trying to find information about my grandfather Alfred Montville and Indian artifacts in which he donated to the Smithsonian. I came across an article of yours regarding the Montville Site. If there is anything you could share I would be so grateful.
Sincerely Debbie Rogers"

Here's why I never heard back from her.....

She had been murdered on Nov. 15, 2016: GOOSE CREEK, SC - Two people who died after a murder-suicide at a Goose Creek home Tuesday afternoon have been identified.

Deborah Rogers, 50, was pronounced dead at a home on Sarah Drive after authorities found her with a laceration to her neck, Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury said.

Goose Creek police went to the home to perform a welfare check after dispatchers said a man told them he had killed Rogers while detoxing from drugs, according to an incident report. Police arrived at the home at approximately 12:54 p.m. and encountered 38-year-old Alex Schaffer, who also lived in the same home. Police say he met them at the side door wearing pants but no shirt. Police asked him about Rogers and he told them he had taken her to Summerville Medical Center because she was ill and she was still a patient there, the report states.

When police asked to come inside and check the residence for her to make sure she was not injured, they say Shaffer hesitated but eventually agreed to allow them in, asking for a moment, presumably so he could put some clothes on, the report states.

After a couple of minutes, police knocked on the door with no response from Shaffer but heard screaming coming from inside the home and forced their way inside, the report states.

Inside, they found Shaffer, suffering "large wounds on both sides of his neck with large amounts of blood" on a bed next to Rogers' body. Shaffer was ordered to show his hands, but challenged the officer to shoot him and advanced on the officer. Another officer deployed a Taser on Shaffer, who continued to resist and pull at the wounds on his neck, the report states.

After multiple Taser stun attempts, officers were able to bring Shaffer under control and render first aid until he could be transported to the hospital, police say.

Salisbury said Shaffer died at Trident Hospital at 2:36 a.m.

Rogers and Schaffer lived together, according to Goose Creek Asst. Police Chief John Grainger. He said there were no records of prior incidents or disputes between the two.

Grainger said the State Law Enforcement Division was called in to investigate because Goose Creek police officers had to be physically involved trying to restrain Shaffer.

Salisbury said an autopsy will be conducted on Rogers Wednesday. More information will be released after the autopsy, Salisbury said.

None of the officers involved in the incident were injured, Grainger said.

Copyright 2016 WCSC. All rights reserved
Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
4thegirls View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 4thegirls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:18am
Wow that is horrible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12