MainStreetMadison.com Homepage
Stacy Castle: Graphic Design, Web Design
Forum Home Forum Home > Madison Sports > HS Sports and Band
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lady Mohawks Win District!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dvisuals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lady Mohawks Win District!
    Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 9:20pm

Josey Harding scored 14 points and set a single-game school record with 21 rebounds Saturday as the Madison High School girls basketball team battered Summit Country Day 58-27 in a Division III district final at Springfield.

It’s the third district championship in four years for the Mohawks (23-1), who will be back at Springfield on Wednesday for the regional semifinals. They’ll play Casstown Miami East at 8 p.m.

“It’s awesome,” said Madison junior guard Meghan Miller, who tallied a game-high 18 points. “Coming back and winning a district title after losing here last year, it feels great.”

Brittany Shields added 10 points for the Mohawks. They never trailed and broke away from a 6-6 tie, scoring the last 14 points of the first period to surge ahead 20-6.

“That was kind of a huge punch that we didn’t quite recover from,” said Summit coach Beth Simmons, whose team finished 17-7. She was missing two players, including her starting point guard, Izzie Englehart, for “personal reasons.

The Silver Knights looked flustered from the get-go against Madison’s defensive pressure.

“We told the kids our defense was going to be our best offense,” Mohawks coach John Rossi said. “I can’t say enough about our kids and how proud I am of them. Obviously there’s bigger fish to fry as we keep progressing through this, but the kids played really well today.”

dvisuals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dvisuals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:50am

Madison wins 3rd district title in 4 years

Mohawks crush Summit Country Day 58-27 for regional berth.

SPRINGFIELD — For Madison High School’s girls basketball team, this was more like it.

One year after getting stung by Georgetown in the Division III district finals, the Mohawks returned to Springfield on Saturday afternoon and crushed Summit Country Day 58-27 for their third district title in four seasons.

“It’s awesome,” said Madison junior guard Meghan Miller, who tallied a game-high 18 points. “Coming back here and winning after what happened last year, it feels great. I feel like people underestimated us at the beginning of the year. We’re proving that we’re better than some people think.”

Josey Harding scored 14 points and grabbed a school-record 21 rebounds for the Mohawks (23-1), and Brittany Shields added 10 points, four boards and four assists.

Madison will meet Casstown Miami East (23-1) in an 8 p.m. regional semifinal Wednesday at Springfield.

“I can’t say enough about how proud I am of our kids,” Mohawks coach John Rossi said. “We’re going to enjoy it for a day or two and that’s it. Obviously there’s bigger fish to fry as we keep progressing through this, but the kids played really well today.”

“We didn’t know who they were,” Harding said of SCD. “They were just a faceless opponent. We were going to come out and do what we do.”

Harding, a 6-foot-2 junior, snared eight boards in the first quarter and easily won her matchup against Jen List, the Silver Knights’ 6-3 center. She had six points and four caroms.

“Sweet,” a smiling Harding said when she was told about her school record. “I just kept grabbing the ball. I guess I can beat my record next game. It’s something to work for.”

Madison never trailed and pulled away from a 6-6 deadlock by scoring the last 14 points of the first period. Summit (17-7) committed 21 turnovers and got flustered by the Mohawks’ pressure.

“We told the girls our defense was going to be our best offense,” Rossi said. “We didn’t want to give them any second chances.”

Amauria Campbell paced the Silver Knights with 10 points. Junior point guard Izzie Englehart did not play for personal reasons, according to Summit coach Beth Simmons.

“We were overmatched,” she said. “We were lacking leadership out there, but I’m not going to take anything away from Middletown Madison. They’re experienced. They have size. They have depth.”

Hawkfan3124 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hawkfan3124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:04pm
Congratulations ladies!   Keep it going.  Disappointed in the student section.  Thank goodness the band was there-awesome, as always!

TwoMohawks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TwoMohawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 11:17am
Congrats Lady MohawksStar
nancy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nancy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 12:00pm
COME SUPPORT THE LADY MOHAWKS WHEN THEY FACE MIAMI EAST WEDNESDAY.  WE NEED TO PACK THE STANDS WITH FANS!!  I KNOW WE CAN DO IT!!!

MADISON LADY MOHAWKS VS. MIAMI EAST

Wednesday, March 7, 2012
8:00pm
Springfield High School
Directions to Springfield High School (PDF)
Tickets are $6.00 if purchased at the school and the Athletic Department
gets 50% of all pre-sale tickets bought at the school.
Cash only, no checks accepted.  
Tickets at the door are $8.00. Their is also a $2.00 parking fee at the event.

The Lady Mohawks will face their biggest challenge to date and need our support and help to advance in the Girls Regional Basketball Tournament. Their opponent Miami East had over 300 people at the game. They are sure to have even more Wednesday Night to take on our ladies. Show your support and let's pack the house Wednesday Night and help our girls advance to the Regional Finals. Tickets are on sale and again, Madison gets 50% of all pre-sale ticket sales. So come on out and get your tickets soon.

TICKET SALE SCHEDULE
Monday thru Wednesday 7:30-3:30 HS Office
Monday Night 3:30 - 6:00 in Board Office
Tuesday Night 3:30 - 6:00 in HS Commons Area (Before JH Winter Awards Banquet)
Wednesday Night - 3:30 - 4:30 in HS Office

willymaymomma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote willymaymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:20pm
If you couldn't make it to the game versus Miami East tonight, you can listen to it online.
http://www.scoresbroadcast.com/    Big smile
If people would take the time to put themselves in others shoes..... the world would be a much nicer place!
dvisuals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dvisuals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 9:40pm
Thanks willymaymomma. I was a little preoccupied last night.

We are proud of you girls!

Next Year!???
 Post Reply Post Reply