MainStreetMadison.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Street Madison > All Things Madison > Township History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

School's Mascot & Colors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Main Street Madison Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School's Mascot & Colors
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:44am
"I kind of remember the senior class voting on the name and I think that it just
sounded the best from the choices we had. I will share something , I remember that
there was a small group that wanted to name the High School "Heno High" and that the
mascot could be the "Hillbillies"." Dave Meeker 

Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
LHelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 1:19pm
"When I was in 8th grade (Madison was 8-12 it's first year of operation) they took  representatives (two I think)  from each grade to be on a committee to chose a mascot and color.  I remember I thought MATADORS was good, no one else had that name!  Glad I got out voted!  I thought the school colors was scarlet and white....
not sure when black was added and the scarlet changed to red. Dave Meeker was there and was senior class president the first year." Donna Walter
StageBrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StageBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 5:08pm
When I graduated in 75, the school colors were red and white, but when I came back to teach in 84, the team uniforms had black as well. I can't recall the source, but I've been told that the official colors are still red and white, and that black is a "complimentary" color. I think the black does add to the appearance and variety of school designs. I fact, this afternoon I'm playing with some designs for something you'll see around the area very soon which I think will show a lot of Mohawk pride.
LHelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:21pm
I talked with a board member, John Gilmore, at the time the mascot and colors were being decided upon.  He said suggestions were taken from students, PTO, a committee, and then presented to the board to be decided upon.  The Mohawk was chosen since this was Mohawk country and there were no particular reason for the choosing of the the colors, red and white.  His wife, June, who taught at Poasttown, said the school colors there had been blue and white.    
LHelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:37pm
The school district is in need of some help with a project that is currently being put together.

Needed are photos of the mohawk mascot over the years? To see the evolution of the mohawk by decade. It has been stated that the original mohawk had a full headdress and then sometime in the 70’s it changed. Old yearbooks were looked at and a picture of the full headdress mohawk was found, but other versions have not been found. Needed is one version for each of the decades (60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s). Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Let me know. Thanks, Larry
 Post Reply Post Reply