MainStreetMadison.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Street Madison > All Things Madison > Township History
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Madison Twp. Fire Department
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Madison Twp. Fire Department

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
LHelton View Drop Down
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Location: Madison Twp.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2200
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Madison Twp. Fire Department
    Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:59pm
Madison Township Fire Department - Station #1
4398 Elk Creek Road, Miltonville

     The first station was born as a result of a five acre grass fire, in October 1953, that spread from the old school house on Elk Creek Road to the Squire's house on Howe Road. Wayne Township Fire Department responded to save the local property and to repay them the $50 charged, Mildred Gentry Myers took up a collection from homeowners. The community met in the Salvation Army building in Miltonville to discuss the situation for needed fire protection. With a $500 loan from Mr. and Mrs. Bert Townsend, a 1934 Ford fire truck was purchased from the Village of Overpeck and stored in their barn until a new fire house could be built.
     On Labor Day, September 4, 1954, with plans drawn up by Paul Kirschner, construction began on a corner lot in Miltonville purchased from John and Mayme Shafer. George Keyser was the first fire chief with Jack Meeker as assistant and George's wife, Dorothy, organized the Women's Auxillary. Their goal was to raise money for needed equipment and to serve food to the men fighting fires through suppers, ice cream socials, bake sales, and rummage and white elephant sales. They furnished the firehouse with tables, chairs, and kitchen equipment along with fire supplies and operational fees.
     With the organization of the South Madison Township Fire Company, Inc., the township contracted with them to provide fire protection for an annual payment of $2, 250. On November 4, 1954, the Township Trustees placed a five-year 1 1/2 mill fire levy which passed 712-For and 172-Against. In June, 1955, bids were opened for a 1955 International pumper fire truck. In September, 1955, the township purchased the fire house and equipment for $9,000 from the South Madison Fire Co., Inc. with a promise that the township would maintain fire service. In January, 1956, George Keyser was continued as fire chief.
     In the mid 1970's, the volunteer firemen began receiving a small payment for each fire run as compensation for personal vehicle use and clothing wear and tear and officers were given an annual payment for their service. Five-year levies have been passed until 1981 when voters approved a continuing 1 mill levy. With the addition of the life squad, an additional Fire/EMS levy being sought at the time of this writing. In 2009, a mural of the old 1955 International fire truck was painted by Eric Henn on the south side of the building.
Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
Back to Top
LHelton View Drop Down
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Location: Madison Twp.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2200
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:10pm
Madison Township Fire Department - Station #2
6415 Germantown Road, Poasttown

     With the formation of Station #1 in Miltonville, Madison Township Trustees Wallace Diver, David Weikel, and Harry Bowlus realized a need for a station in the northern portion of the township. In January, 1956, the Madison Board of Education sold the property known as old Poasttown School and real estate to the township for $575 and then placed Robert Dickey in charge of remodeling and construction to convert to a fire station. The trustees appointed the new Chief Robert Laubach and in March, 1956, bought a fire truck from American Fire Apparatus for $15,640.
     Bob Ledford owned the grocery next door to the fire station and it was very convenient when he later became fire chief and served many years. A tribute to his service and untimely death is on display in front of the building. Although the fire stations were township owned and operated, the volunteer firemen organized as an association to further their wants and needs.
     The amount of volunteer hours and their dedication to protect Madison property and lives has been a constant source of pride to township residents.     
Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
Back to Top
LHelton View Drop Down
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Location: Madison Twp.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2200
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
Madison Township Fire Chief Roster
   
Over the years, the duties of fire chief were at times divided with Station #1 and Station #2 each having their own chief. Both stations are now united with a head Fire Chief and Deputy Chief at each station along with other officers. The acquisition of the Life Squad added the position of EMS Deputy Chief.

Date/Fire Chief/Station #

Fall,1954-1955, George Keyser #1
1956-1959, George Keyser #1, Robert Laubach #2
1960-1962, Robert Laubach
1963-1968, Meredith Nelson
191969-75, Robert Ledford
1976-06/1980, Dee Harlan
07/1980-1983, Merle Rhodes
1984-1986, John Davis
1987-1992, Rife Denlinger
1993, John Davis #1, Jim Cottongim #2
1994, John Davis #1, Robert Strassburger #2
1995-1997, Ron Miller #1, Robert Strassburger #2
1998-02/1999, Ron Miller #1, Robert Strassburger #2
03/1999-1999, Ron Miller #1, Kent Hall #2
2000-02/2002, Gary Hollon #1, Kent Hall #2
02/2002-present, Kent Hall

EMS Deputy Chief - Life Squad Official Acquisition 06/21/2006

06/2006-mid-2008, Chad Wells
midd2008-present, Brian Sebald

Compiled from Township Minute Books by Donna Walter, 2010

   
Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
Back to Top
LHelton View Drop Down
Main Street Madison Moderator
Main Street Madison Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Location: Madison Twp.
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2200
Post Options Post Options   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:26pm
2/28/1953: Representatives of Tax Payers and Residents including Elmer Scheibert-Trenton Village Fire Chief, Martin Littman-Pres. Madison Twp. Improvemnet Assoc., W.C. Augspurger, Aaron Burge, Lacy Keith, Edwin Roell, Willard Schenck, and Harold Smith asking Trustees to endorse action relative to a survey as to Fire District and a Planning Commission of the Madison Township Association conference with Prosecuting Attorney relative to legal action.

11/28/1953: Madison Township Improvement Association Planning Committee presented information to trustees to contact Prosecuting Attorney and to obtain other information relative to promoting an issue to give Madison Township fire protection.

5/29/1954: Mr. Hugh Barnes, Representative of Madison Township Improvement Association and it was agreed that the Board of Trustees and Mr. Barnes would confer with Prosecuting Attorney in regards to preparing legislation relative to voting fire protection at the next general election. Wallace M. Diver, Harry M. Bowlus, David Weikel, Trustees - Carl H. Sigel, Clerk.

6/26/1954: Resolution creating a fire district for the township and declaring necessity for additional tax levy. (All of Madison excluding Trenton will be called Nadison Township Fire District) 1954-55-56-57-58 tax years for 1 1/2 mills.

11/4/1954: Passed 1 1/2 mill levy - 712 Yes, 172 Against

3/25/1955: Relative to the location for a twp. fire station in the north part of Madison Township the twp. trustees asked the Board of Education to transfer the north portion of the old Poasttown School property being a tract of land 55' wide and 125.4' deep.

4/30/1955: To accept the transfer of land at Poasttown for a fire station for $1.

5/20/1955: Purchase of fire equipment.

6/25/1955: Opened bids for fire truck of $14,421 for 1955 International pumper truck/hoses.

9/24/1955: South Madison Fire Company sold to the Township Trustees their building and equipment for $9,000 being the same real estate the Company purchased for $1 from John E. & Mamie Shafer on 12/8/54. The note was bought by bank and paid back over a period of 4 years.

10/29/1955: Terminate old contract and retain George Keyser as chief to 12/31/1955.

1/26/1956: School sold to the Township the property known as old Poasttown School and real estate for $575 to be used for North Fire Station.

3/1/1956: Trustees placed Robert Dickey in charge of remodeling and construction of school into firehouse.

3/31/1956: Bought fire truck #2 from American Fire Apparatus for $15,640.

7/27/1956: Borrowed $9,300 from First National Bank of Middletown at 3% - payable 3 years.

Every 5 years levies were in May, 2010, passed until 1980 when a new continuous levy was passed for mill.

In a special election in May, 2010, voters passed a 2 mill continuous levy - 859 For, 539 Against.

Mural on the side of South Madison by Eric Henn depicts the 1955 International pumper.

Compiled from Township Minute Books by Donna Walter, 2010
Larry Helton - Historical Society of Madison Twp.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.64
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz