Forum Home Forum Home > Madison Sports > HS Sports and Band
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Football 2017 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Main Street Madison Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football 2017 Season
    Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 6:37pm

Prep football: Madison working toward elusive playoff goal.

9:08 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 8, 2017  Journal-News Sports

There is no doubt about this: Madison High School’s football team is aiming to make history this season.

The Mohawks are coming off back-to-back 7-3 campaigns, but they’ve never been to the playoffs. And they’ve dropped down to Division V in 2017.

“The kids think about it and I think the community talks about it a lot, and that’s the easy part,” fourth-year coach Steve Poff said. “The hard part is to win the game in front of you and move forward as a team.

“I’m interested to see how we accept challenges when we get in games. I’ve told the team several times that I feel like our biggest opponent is us. We have enough talent. We have enough size. We have enough skill. If we all take a selfless approach, then I think we’ve got every opportunity in the world to achieve some very high goals.

“I’ll be very disappointed if we don’t make the playoffs, but we’re not going to cancel football if we don’t make it. We’ll get back in the weight room and keep training and get better.”

Poff noted that his 50-man roster is down about a dozen players this year, “but the kids we have are all football players, and we’re fine with that. If we don’t win this year, it won’t be because we don’t have 12 more kids on the team.”

Madison has become known for its ground-hugging Wing-T offense, and that isn’t likely to change this year.

“I’m not going to trick anybody,” Poff said. “I’m going to come out and run the ball one way or another. It doesn’t always work for us, but we’re going to live and die by it. We are working hard to develop more of a passing game if we need it, but the intentions are to run the football.”

The top two runners, junior fullback Cameron Svarda (5-8, 180) and senior halfback Tyler Baumgartner (5-8, 175), are back. They combined for more than 2,000 rushing yards in 2016.

Senior Reid Davis (6-1, 205) and junior Mason Whiteman (5-10, 185) both played quarterback last season. They’ve also returned.

Poff said he hasn’t decided on a starting QB yet. Whichever way that call goes, the other player will probably be on the field as a running back or receiver.

“Last year, there was a definite difference in that one could run better and one could throw better,” Poff said. “They’ve both spent the offseason improving their weaknesses to where we don’t see a big difference now. Davis is a much better runner than he has been in the past, and Whiteman has improved his arm strength and accuracy.”

Junior Evan Crim (6-0, 190) will contribute in the backfield. The receivers include senior Damon Stepp (6-1, 190), juniors P.J. Schenck (5-7, 170) and Luke Cornele (6-3, 175), and sophomore Quincy Brown (6-3, 170).

The offensive line has some inexperience, though Poff believes it will be a solid group. Junior Caleb Bolen (6-3, 255) is a returnee and has moved from tackle to guard this year.

The other O-line starters are expected to be senior center R.J. Borgman (5-10, 225), senior guard Stephen Watts (6-3, 240), and senior tackles Steven Ward (6-2, 240) and Sean Surber (6-4, 270). Junior Cameron Baker (5-10, 215) is the tight end.

“We’ve got a nice combination of size and strength and speed up front,” Poff said. “We spent a lot of time in the offseason working on our explosiveness, and it’s paid off. They’re very hungry to prove themselves.”

Lots of veterans are back on the 4-4 defensive unit, including senior Levi Wilson (5-10, 190) and junior Cole Pelgen (6-2, 245) at linebacker, junior Max Evans (6-1, 250) at tackle, Whiteman and Baumgartner at cornerback, and Svarda at safety.

Evans totaled 13 sacks last year and has fully recovered from offseason shoulder surgery.

“He’s stronger and faster than he was last year and a lot more confident,” Poff said.

Watts, Ward, Baker, Bolen and junior Tanner Limon (6-0, 210) are part of the defensive-line rotation. Crim and sophomore Jake Phelps (5-8, 160) are in the linebacker mix.

“I think we’re going to be fast on defense,” Poff said. “Even our big guys run well. We’re going to be a little more disciplined, a little more aggressive this year.”

Senior soccer player Graham Reich (5-10, 170) and Svarda are competing for the place-kicking duties. Whiteman and Svarda are the punting possibilities.

Poff is running the offense and Jeff Rippl is the defensive coordinator for the Mohawks. Mike Dully and Ryan Melton have joined the staff as line coaches, and Dylan Dwyer will coach the split ends after being a volunteer last season.

Madison has upcoming scrimmages at Bainbridge Paint Valley (with Greenfield McClain and Batavia) on Friday at 10 a.m., and at home against Twin Valley South on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m.

MADISON MOHAWKS

Coach: Steve Poff, fourth season (19-11)

OHSAA designation: Division V, Region 20

Playoff history: None

2016 record: 7-3 overall, 4-2 in the Southwestern Buckeye League Buckeye Division (third)

Schedule: Aug. 25 — Talawanda, 7 p.m.; Sept. 1 — at Monroe, 7 p.m.; Sept. 8 — Valley View, 7 p.m.; Sept. 15 — Preble Shawnee, 7 p.m.; Sept. 22 — at Oakwood, 7 p.m.; Sept. 29 — Milton-Union, 7 p.m.; Oct. 6 — at Carlisle, 7 p.m.; Oct. 13 — Dixie, 7 p.m.; Oct. 20 — at Waynesville, 7 p.m.; Oct. 27 — at Northridge, 7 p.m.

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 7:29pm

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/prep-football-madison-staying-the-course-after-week-romp/wg7LWJuptDUrWVMhGU4bhM/

Prep football: Madison staying the Staff Writer

12:21 p.m Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017  Journal-News Sports

The first step for Madison High School’s football team proved to be a commanding one.

The 2017 season is filled with high hopes for the Mohawks, and they didn’t disappoint on opening night by flattening Talawanda 44-0 last Friday.

“It was a good win for all of us and the community. We were all really proud of it,” Madison junior defensive tackle Max Evans said. “We celebrated, we’re happy, but we’re hungry for more.”

Evans was part of a Mohawk defense that surrendered 30 total yards. The Braves’ running game produced minus-40 yards.

“Defensively, we’re really turning the corner and getting guys on the same page and running around,” Madison coach Steve Poff said. “We’re athletic across the board on defense. I think that’s the key for us taking the next step as a really good football team.”

The Mohawks’ Wing-T offense was in typically bruising form, led by Cameron Svarda (11 carries, 177 yards, three TDs), Tyler Baumgartner (10 carries, 61 yards, TD) and Evan Crim (11 carries, 45 yards, two TDs).

Reid Davis and Mason Whiteman both played quarterback, though Davis was the primary guy. He was 1 of 7 through the air for 31 yards.

“I’m still week by week with that,” Poff said when asked if Davis is the No. 1 quarterback. “I like the competition. I think it shows what people’s character really is when it’s not easy every day.”

Madison faces another Butler County rival Friday when it travels to Monroe, a 38-13 loser to Edgewood last week.

The Mohawks have been 7-3 the last two seasons. They’ve moved down to Division V this year, yet are still seeking their first playoff berth.

“I think we’ve got a great team going on,” Evans said. “We’ve got a great junior class, our senior class leads well. We’re really strong, we’re really fast, not worried about anything.

“Getting to the playoffs … man, it’s extremely important. We’re doubted a lot, like immediately. It’s almost like nobody wants to see Madison get to the playoffs. Nobody wants to see us excel and do great. But we’re fighting through adversity every day, and I’d say this is our shot.”

The defensive front in Madison’s 4-4 alignment is particularly strong. It’s also more than four guys.

Evans is joined by Cole Pelgen (6-2, 245), who has moved from linebacker to end, and Tanner Limon (6-0, 210), who’s moved from end to nose guard.

Steven Ward (6-2, 240), Stephen Watts (6-3, 240) and Cameron Baker (5-10, 215) are rotating at an end position, and Levi McMonigle (a 6-6, 190-pound transfer from Valley View) is contributing on the line as well.

“We’ve been able to really keep their legs fresh and get a good push,” Poff said. “They’re all very explosive.”

Evans (6-1, 250) totaled 13 sacks in 2016, despite playing through some pain after suffering a shoulder injury. He had surgery in January and said he feels stronger than ever.

Asked to describe himself as a player, Evans said, “I’ve got a good get-off off the ball. I think my first move and my explosion are my best attributes.”

“He’s already one of the best defensive linemen in the area,” Poff said. “He’s details away from being really special, and he’s concentrating on those right now.”

Evans’ individual goals for this season?

“I’d like to set the bar a little bit higher, but I’m playing for the team,” he said. “Whatever’s best for the team. It’s not about me.”

Friday’s game

What: Madison (1-0) at Monroe (0-1), 7 p.m.

Where: Monroe Fighting Hornet Stadium, 220 Yankee Road, Monroe

Last year: Madison won 21-12

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 2:36pm
The Madison High School Football Team is heading for state!
First playoff game at home - hope to post more information as it is released - HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE

Madison will host the first-round playoff game on Friday, November 3 at 7pm. 
Tickets will be available to purchase Wednesday and Thursday from 5-7pm in the Field House Community Room.

All PRE-SALE tickets benefit the school. Tickets purchased at the gate will go directly to OHSAA. 
No passes can be accepted. 
More details to come.

All information is subject to change as OHSAA has not released “official” statements.

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm

Madison headed to state football playoffs for first time

3:14 p.m Sunday, Oct. 29, 2017  Journal-News Sports

The Madison Mohawks are in the postseason for the first time.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association made it official when they announced first-round pairings Sunday for the state football playoffs.

“It’s definitely exciting times,” Madison coach Steve Poff said. “It’s something we’ve been working toward.”

While Madison is in the playoffs for the first time, Fairfield (Division I) and Franklin (Division III) will make their ninth and 11th appearances, respectively.

A bonus for the playoff first-timers? The second-seeded Mohawks (8-2) will host seventh-seeded Anna (7-3) in a Division V, Region 20 quarterfinal at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Brandenburg Field. The top eight teams in each region qualified for the playoffs. The top four seeds host first-round games.

“It’s great for the community,” Poff said. “The boys are excited about it. We’re all proud of what we’ve done, but we still feel we’ve got a lot to prove.”

Anna is making its 10th playoff appearance and first since 2010. The Rockets are 2-9 in the postseason.

The Rockets tied for third in the rugged Midwest Athletic Conference. Their three losses all came in conference play to playoff teams — Marion Local, Coldwater and Minster. The MAC is 65-2 in first-round playoff games against non-MAC schools since the playoffs expanded to eight qualifiers per region in 1999. Anna joined the MAC in 2005.

“We know they’re a great program,” Poff said.

Eighth-seeded Fairfield (6-4) will travel to defending state champion and top-seeded St. Xavier (9-1) at 7:30 p.m. Friday for a Region 4 quarterfinal. The Indians are 5-7 all time in the playoffs. They won a state title in 1986. St. Xavier is 41-20 in 23 previous playoff appearances. The Bombers have won three state titles.

Third-seeded Franklin (8-2) will host sixth-seeded New Richmond (8-2) at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Region 12 first-round game. The Wildcats are 5-10 in their previous postseason appearances.

Regional semifinals, regional finals and state semifinals in each division will be played at neutral sites. All games will be played on Friday nights. The state championships are set for Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton on Nov. 30, Dec. 1 and Dec. 2.

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS

Friday, Nov. 3 (all games at 7:30 p.m.)

Division I, Region 4

Fairfield (6-4) at St. Xavier (9-1)

Division III, Region 12

New Richmond (8-2) at Franklin (8-2)

Division V, Region 20

Anna (7-3) at Madison (8-2)

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:31pm
Pre-Sale Tickets $8.00 - All Pre-Sale Ticket Money Benefits Madison Local Schools

Tuesday thru Friday, 8 - 2:30 MJSH Athletic Office
Wednesday and Thursday, 5-7pm Field House Community Room

No Passes Accepted
$3 parking per car

Game Time 7:30 Brandenburg Field, Friday, Nov. 3rd.

munoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote munoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:12pm
Congrats to the Mohawk Football Team !!!

We have playoff shirts for 10.00 for sale, hoodies 18.00, long sleeves shirts 12.00

2 color front and 2 color back - design similar to the white shirts the boys got .  email orders to Mike / Andy    - madisonacme@yahoo.com

JUST WIN BABY !!!
Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:13pm

Prep football: Madison rallies for historic playoff win over Anna

4:31 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017  Journal-News Sport

The first playoff game in Madison High School football history proved to be the best mud bath the Mohawks have ever taken.

Forced to rally after a stunning Anna touchdown in the final three minutes, Madison rose up and found a way to win at swamp-like Brandenburg Field on Friday night.

Cameron Svarda scored on a 5-yard run with 56.4 seconds remaining and Mason Whiteman followed with a game-clinching interception as the Mohawks thrilled their large home crowd with a 14-10 victory in a Division V, Region 20 quarterfinal.

PHOTOS: Nick Graham’s gallery from the game

“I’ve never felt like this before in my life,” said Whiteman, a junior quarterback and cornerback. “Growing up here at Madison, we always talked about being that team, the team that (does) it. We finally did it, we got a win, and it just feels great.”

Madison outgained Anna 306-154 in yardage, yet had to overcome four turnovers in dropping the Rockets — representing the Midwest Athletic Conference — to 2-10 in playoff games.

The Mohawks (9-2) advance to a Week 12 matchup against Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, a 47-24 winner over Greeneview, next Friday night. The Ohio High School Athletic Association will announce the neutral site Sunday.

“I’m real proud of my guys for their willingness to stand in there and battle and play through some injuries,” Madison coach Steve Poff said. “It was as close to a capacity crowd as we can get … I thought it was a great atmosphere. I’m just happy for the community and the team and the students.”

Poff showed he still has some hops after Whiteman picked off Travis Meyer’s final pass with 45.9 seconds left.

“I know I jumped up and down a few times,” Poff said. “Right now, I’m overwhelmed a little bit with emotion. It’s a very surreal feeling because this is a position we’ve never been in before. I try to stay real reserved, but it’s hard to put that much work and effort into something and not be really excited for the kids.”

Anna (7-4) didn’t have a great offensive night in the muck, yet still managed to pull ahead 10-7 with 2:29 remaining when Meyer delivered a wobbly fourth-and-8 bomb to Austin Fogt, who went 40 yards for a touchdown. The Rockets had gained possession after an MHS fumble.

“We had two guys slip,” Poff said. “That’s football. Crazy things happen. One of the things we preach is just play the next play. You’re going to have ups and downs and things that are beyond your control. You’ve just got to deal with them and play the next play.”

Anna picked up an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the TD. Fifteen costly yards were assessed on the kickoff, which the Mohawks brought back to their own 40.

“When they first scored, I kind of put my head down. I thought it was over,” admitted Svarda, a junior fullback and safety. “But when we got the ball, we started working again, and we just drove on them.”

That drive covered five plays and 60 yards. Svarda started it with a 30-yard burst, and on third-and-3 at the AHS 23, Whiteman connected with Tyler Baumgartner on an 18-yard pass. Svarda scored on the next play.

“I don’t even think Anna played that play,” Svarda said. “It just opened wide open for me.”

Madison’s winning drive included four runs and one pass. The Mohawks aren’t necessarily built for comebacks because of their run, run, run mind-set, but Poff felt confident his group could move the ball down the field quickly.

“We felt like two minutes was more than enough time, even though we don’t throw much and don’t throw it very efficiently sometimes,” Poff said. “We knew we had some tricks up our sleeves if we needed them, and it turned out that we didn’t need them. We just ran our stuff and slammed it in there.

“That was the plan all week. We’re going to be ourselves. We’re going to pound the football at you and try to attack you from different angles and put guys in conflict about what their job assignment is. Sometimes it takes us a little whMeyer was 4 of 17 for 82 yards for Anna. Riley Huelskamp carried the ball 24 times for 94 yards, Robert Flynn kicked a 32-yard field goal, and Ethan Burd and Griffin Doseck had interceptions.

“We didn’t play well enough,” Rockets coach Nick Marino said quietly after the game. “We just needed to get a stop. We had been successful doing that in the second half, but we needed to get one more. It really hurts.”

Whiteman completed 1 of 4 passes and got intercepted on the Mohawks’ first play from scrimmage and the last play of the first half. Svarda was limited to 30 yards on nine carries in the opening two periods.

“It was awful,” Svarda said of the field conditions. “All you could do was fall forward. You couldn’t make a cut. If you did, you fell.”

ile to figure it out.”

The Rockets started at their own 40 after the ensuing kickoff, but Whiteman dashed their hopes soon after the first snap.

“I kind of read the wide receiver,” Whiteman said. “He was running a post route, and just through film study I know they run timing routes. I just jumped the pass.

“Right when I caught it, I went straight down, threw the ball down and went straight to the sideline, and then everybody’s coming up saying that they love me. But really it was the D-line. They just put so much pressure on that quarterback that he had to get the ball off.”

Svarda gained 99 yards on 20 carries for Madison. Baumgartner had 93 yards and a TD on 13 carries, and Evan Crim added 76 yards on 11 rushes. The hosts collected 288 yards on the ground.

“They were very physical,” Svarda said. “That was probably the hardest-hitting team we’ve played all year. I was hurting in the first half for sure.”

“You couldn’t even get the snap sometimes because the ball was all muddy and the laces got mud all over them,” Whiteman said. “Details is what we repeatedly say in practice. It’s all about the details. Maybe this week we’ll throw some mud on the ball and practice like that.”

Poff said Anna deserved praise for its tenacity.

“I’ve got a ton of respect for their kids,” he said. “They hit. I think they were probably a little surprised at how we run things and how physical we were, but they certainly didn’t back down.”

Anna 3-0-0-7—10

Madison 0-7-0-7—14

A: Robert Flynn 32 field goal

M: Tyler Baumgartner 4 run (Graham Reich kick)

A: Austin Fogt 40 pass from Travis Meyer (Flynn kick)

M: Cameron Svarda 5 run (Reich kick)

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:14pm
Madison Mohawks will take on Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy at Lakota East on Friday, November 10th at 7:30pm. 

Pre-Sale tickets ($8) will be available Mon-Fri 8-2:30pm Wednesday & Thursday 5-7 in the Field House. 

**Remember - all pre-sale tickets goes directly to Madison Schools**

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm

Prep football: Wilson, Mohawks accepting challenge from CHCA offense

11:38 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017  Journal-News Sports

Levi Wilson and the Madison High School defense are preparing for a potent and varied Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy attack.

Wilson’s mind-set? Game on.

“The defense does accept that challenge,” the senior inside linebacker said. “We have a very good run defense, and our secondary is very smart. All together, we’ll be able to stop a lot of stuff.”

The Mohawks (9-2) will meet CHCA (8-2) in a Division V, Region 20 football semifinal Friday night at Lakota East.

It’s especially meaningful for a guy like Wilson, who isn’t planning to play at the next level and said his class has shown “the guts and the courage and the toughness to do anything they put their minds to” through the years.

“It’s ride or die,” Wilson said. “You never know when it’s your last everything, so just leave it all out there. That’s always been my goal anyway. Just play as hard as I can, don’t take one play off and everything to the best. The sky’s the limit.”

Wilson said it’s a week of film study for him as Madison prepares to match up with an Eagles spread offense that’s generating 370.5 yards and 39.6 points per game.

CHCA senior quarterback Danny Vanatsky has completed 132 of 195 passes for 1,984 yards and 28 touchdowns.

“There’s tons of film to break down and stuff to key on, so it’ll be a good week,” Wilson said.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pound Wilson is a three-year starter. Mohawks coach Steve Poff said Wilson and junior Evan Crim are different kinds of leaders within the linebacking crew.

“Evan is more of the inspirational guy, the always-positive guy that says, ‘Come on, follow me, we’re going to do this thing together,’ ” Poff said. “Levi is going to say what’s on his mind and play as hard as he can and play through a lot of pain. He’s more likely to say, ‘Stop being a bunch of sissies.’ But you need both kinds of guys out there. Even though they may have conflicting styles when it comes to that, they’re a great mix together.”

Wilson said the linebackers may be unheralded, but they’re very versatile and make plays.

Looking back at last Friday’s 14-10 win over Anna, the first playoff victory in Madison history, Wilson said it was an emotional roller-coaster ride.

The Rockets scored on a 40-yard pass with 2:29 left to go up 10-7, then watched the Mohawks drive 60 yards in five plays for the winning score.

“I’ve never been so mad in my life that we let them do that. If you weren’t mad, there was something wrong with you,” Wilson said of Anna taking the late lead. “But (quarterback) Mason (Whiteman) looked at me in the end zone and said, ‘The offense will take care of it,’ and the offense came out and answered it.

“It was — how should I put this? — very inspiring to go out and win again for the community. They were behind us the whole time, whether we were winning or losing. To see a whole town behind you, it’s pretty fun.”

Even if the game was played in the Brandenburg Field swamp.

“Thank God,” Wilson said of playing on FieldTurf this week. “I like mud, but that was just a little excessive. But you can definitely take that with a win.”

An opening mistake: Madison had an early surprise for Anna, rolling out for a pass attempt on its first play from scrimmage. But don’t expect that to be the Mohawks’ first play against CHCA.

Whiteman got intercepted by Ethan Burd, and Poff took full responsibility for it.

“It’ll never, ever, ever happen again,” the Mohawks coach said of going to the air on the first play. “We were in a formation that we were 100 percent run out of, and we felt scouting-wise their defense would be heavy run. We made a decision and lived with it, but I told the team that was my fault. I killed our drive, so I’ll try not to do that anymore.”

OK with the bye: CHCA only played nine games in the regular season after taking a bye in Week 5. Eagles coach Mark Mueller said the school simply couldn’t find the right fit for the open spot in the schedule.

“A lot of teams didn’t want to play us, and the ones that did, we didn’t really want to play them,” Mueller said. “So a bye week was fine for us.”

CHCA was unbeaten in the Miami Valley Conference Scarlet Division, with Mueller admitting the MVC was down this year. That was part of the reason he wanted to frontload the schedule, and he said his team learned a lot in the first three weeks against Fenwick (a 35-27 loss), Indian Hill (a 21-14 win) and Wyoming (a 28-14 loss).

“We were up 21-0 against Fenwick … that was the first regular-season game we had lost in a couple years,” Mueller said. “Against Wyoming, we had four turnovers. Since then, I think we’ve been plus-12 in the turnover battle.”

Mueller is in his second year at the Eagles helm and was the head coach at New Albany for eight seasons, going 69-24. The 1989 Finneytown graduate was an all-state linebacker for the Wildcats.

Friday’s game

What: Division V, Region 20 semifinal, Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (8-2) vs. Madison (9-2) at Lakota East, 7:30 p.m.

Where: Hawks Nest, 6840 Lakota Lane, Liberty Township - Lakota East High School

CHCA playoff history: 15-12 in 13 appearances (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)

Madison playoff history: 1-0 in one appearance (2017)

Next: Winner plays West Jefferson (11-0) or Reading (8-3) in the regional final Nov. 17 at a neutral site

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:02pm
Message from Madison Local Schools 11-09-17

"Community Send-off - Join us Friday (11-10-17) at 4:30 pm at the Field House to cheer on our Mohawks as they board the buses to the Week 12 Regional Semi-Final Game! The buses will leave at 4:45 pm. 

Please keep in mind, the gates at Lakota East Stadium will not open until 6:00 pm. 
Pre-Sale Tickets: $8 can be purchased at the MJSHS Athletic office from 8 to 2:30 pm (Friday)
Parking: $3 - No Passes will be accepted"

Just FYI - 
Game is at 7:30. Gates open at 6:00.

Best of Luck Mohawks! 

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm

We want you to pack the stands tonight Mohawks! But in case you can’t make it, listen live at the following link: https://youtu.be/mQWgUry7amU

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:08pm
MOHAWKS WIN 35-27!!!

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 11:36am
Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 12:56pm
OHSAA State Playoffs Regional Finals, Divison V Region 20

Madison vs West Jefferson

Date: November 17, 7:30 pm
Place: Beavercreek High School Stadium

Pre Sale Tickets $8 - 
Wed thru Thursday 8am to 2:30pm, Friday 8am to 1pm, Madison High School Athletic Office
Wednesday and Thursday 5pm to 7pm at the Field House.

No passes accepted at the gate. Parking $3.

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/prep-football-second-half-surge-powers-madison-another-playoff-win/bXQUX5qwaczVceXkctMSdM/?ecmp=newspaper_email&

Nice article from the Dayton Daily News about Madison's Friday win over CHCA.
Click the link above.

There are also a couple of interviews with players and more photos.

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm

Prep football: Madison-West Jefferson regional final at Beavercreek

2:52 p.m Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017  Journal-News Sports

Beavercreek High School is the next stop for Madison’s surging football team.

The Mohawks will take their nine-game winning streak to Frank Zink Field at Miami Valley Hospital Stadium on Friday and will meet West Jefferson in the Division V, Region 20 championship game. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.

Madison (10-2) is the lone Southwestern Buckeye League team still standing after Valley View’s Division IV loss to Clinton-Massie last Friday.

West Jefferson is 12-0, though the Ohio High School Athletic Association lists the Roughriders as 11-0 because they defeated a club team (the Columbus Crusaders) in Week 1.

Local fans may remember West Jefferson as the team that ousted Badin from the playoffs in 2013 and 2014.

The Roughriders are making their 20th postseason appearance with a record of 23-17 in playoff games. They were state champions in 1976 and 1982.

This is the first playoff campaign for Madison. The Mohawks have rallied to beat Anna (14-10) and Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (35-27) to get here.

The other three Division V regional finals are as follows:

• Region 17 — Canfield South Range (12-0) vs. Sullivan Black River (11-1) at Canal Fulton Northwest’s Jim Schalmo Field at Dr. Martin Smilek Stadium

• Region 18 — Pemberville Eastwood (12-0) vs. Marion Pleasant (10-1) at Lima Stadium

• Region 19 — Wheelersburg (12-0) vs. Johnstown-Monroe (10-2) at Chillicothe’s Herrnstein Stadium

Ticket information: Presale tickets for the Madison-West Jeff game will be available at Madison’s athletic office Wednesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. They will also be sold in the fieldhouse community room Wednesday and Thursday from 5-7 p.m.

All presale tickets are $8, and Madison will receive a cut of the presale money. Tickets at the gate will be $9.

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:41pm
If you can't make it to Friday's big game I am sharing some links you can follow. 
The 2nd link is misleading but it is the correct link. 

http://www.cindaysports.com

Twitter accounts - @rickcassano @NickGrahamPhoto @MadisonMohawks @WMOHGameNight @MikeDyer @MarcPendleton

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:00am

Be at the Field House at 4:30pm today to send-off the football team as they load the bus to Beavercreek! Don’t forget your cow bells! 

Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:18am
Debwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Debwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:29pm
MOHAWKS WIN!! 42-7 

How about that folks! Making history! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>